Thursday, April 7, 2011

WalMart and animals. Maybe related in some way.

I just got back from a rainy, long, miserable trip to WalMart. I  am NOT a fan of WalMart. I will tell you why.


  • Overcrowded. People are everywhere. They should really make lanes like we have on the road.  
  • The people in the overcrowded store are unaware of anyone else around them. They park their cart in the middle of an isle with 8 kids and don't notice when people are trying to get around them. I have all the respect in the world for mothers, especially those who bring their kids to the store. But PLEASE be more considerate!
  • I always always always end up with the squeaky cart. Generally it has a gimpy wheel or just feels the need to be incredibly loud. Everyone stares at me as if it is my personal cart and that I should really invest in a new one. Sorry, WalMart is a big place, I'm not going to the front of the store to get a new one.
  • They say they are cheap, but Walmart is actually more expensive than the other grocery stores I go to in the valley. They are incredibly good at marketing and persuading customers that they are cheaper. What they do is put up a huge display of things on sale at an amazing price. The display is meant to lure you in to another isle with regularly priced products that are not a great deal at all. I watched a documentary on it, it's true.
  • Their produce section is awful and not fresh at all. Their fruit and veggies are basically spoiled before you even buy them. And once again, they are overpriced. 

I only went there today because I needed some gifts for a baby shower tonight, and with the rain being so miserable I just wanted to make one stop. So I'll give you that, WalMart: you ARE a convenient one stop shop.


When I got home I put my iPod on shuffle. I do this when I'm not sure what kind of mood I'm in that day. I let the iPod gods decide my future for me. I had a really great shuffle going before I came in and blogged:

1. Spirit Voices -- Paul Simon
2. Real Men -- Joe Jackson
3. Never Grow Old -- The Cranberries
4. Prenzlauerberg -- Beirut
5. Tu Me Salvaste -- Mana
6. It Only Makes Me Laugh -- Oingo Boingo


So my not so great trip to WalMart was, in fact, redeemed by some great artists. Thanks, guys.



Now for my daily question to answer.

Day #21: Your favorite animal

My super awesome sister-in-law Kim asked me the other day what my favorite animal is. The truth is that I have 5. And these, ladies and gentlemen, are in a very particular order.

5. the llama



4. the sloth



3. the ferret 



4. the dog (most any breed, but I will feature the pug, as I love pugs)



And of course, as anyone who knows me well knows, I LOVE PIGS.





I wish I had time to elaborate, but I have to go make some lunch and get ready for teaching for the day.







1 comment: