Friday, April 8, 2011

Things I wish I could do better.

I'm going to get right down to business today and start with the daily question.

Day #21: Something you wish you were better at.

Well let me tell you, there are many things I wish I could do better. I hope that maybe writing this list of things will inspire me to tackle at least a couple.

Top 10 Perfection Wish List


1. Quilting/Sewing



My mom put my sisters and I in a quilting class when I was in junior high. I loved it. We made table runners, pillows, tote bags, small quilts, Christmas decorations... it was incredible. However, like most things when you're about 13 years old, my mom was always the one who was pushing me to do it. Once I started quilting I loved it, but my mom helped me a lot. I'm afraid that I don't actually know how to do it by myself anymore. My mom has made gorgeous quilts, and it seems too hard. Maybe someday I'll go back to it.


2. Swimming


Don't get me wrong. I know how to swim. But I can't tread water to save my life. Literally. I watch disaster movies where people are suddenly surrounded by water, and I just think to myself that I would be dead at that point. I tire easily in water, and when I took water aerobics in college, treading water was impossible.


3. Genealogy



Jake and I are taking a genealogy class right now at church, and it seems really fascinating. My sister-in-law Liz is the ultimate pro at it, and she seems to really enjoy it. To me it just looks like a lot of work! My Abbott side of the family could really use some genealogy work, and sometimes I feel inspired to do some of it. But even though people say it's really easy, it's not. Genealogy is hard.


4. Cooking




To be fair, I actually have been working on my cooking skills. Cooking is a very expensive hobby, though. I try to keep our grocery bill down. But I want to teach our future kids that eating healthy is important. So this is one I will continue to work on.


5. Playing the piano



I took piano lessons for a few years. I took 2 semesters of piano proficiency classes in college. I SHOULD know how to play the piano! But I really can't play very well at all. We have a really crappy keyboard in our second room, and it's just sitting here gathering dust. I like to feel the weight of real piano keys, and so playing on plastic, light keyboard keys is hard for me. But no more excuses. I really must learn to play the piano.


6. Singing




All three of my sisters were blessed with beautiful singing voices. Truly gorgeous. I'm not sure if they have always had these voices or if they worked hard to perfect them, but I don't have one of those voices. My sister Carolyn sings like an angel. She gives me chills every time. If I could sing like her, I would die happy.


7. Badminton




I've always enjoyed this sport. I used to be fairly good at it but am now out of practice. Someday when we live in a place that doesn't snow half the year, maybe we'll build a badminton court.


8. Running




This is another thing I have actually worked pretty hard on. I really hate running. A lot. But I want to like it, because it seems so exhilarating. I've used the excuse that my arthritis holds me back for so many years now. Though this is probably true, it's not a valid excuse. I can do it if I want to. Maybe I won't love running, but I really do enjoy my semi-running style on the elliptical. Someday maybe I'll transfer my energy to real running.


9. Thirds (on the violin)




Yet another thing I have worked very hard on for a long time. For those of you who don't know what thirds are, they are small intervals that are, for me, extremely hard to get in tune. It's held me back from perfecting a lot of pieces! It's a slow process but I think I'm finally getting a little better. Consistency, consistency, consistency...


10. Writing




My family is full of incredible writers. My dad is the most profound, intelligent writer I know. He can say so much in so little. It's true of all my brothers, too. My brothers are all so witty and spot on. I think if you can write, you can do just about anything. It makes you a better conversationalist and a better friend.



What do you wish you were better at?













No comments:

Post a Comment