Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Last weekend :)

This past weekend was one of the best Jake and I have had in a while.

On Friday night Jake and I went to the Ellen Eccles Theater to Celtic Night; my all-time favorite fiddler, Alasadair Fraser, came to Logan! He is touring with Natalie Haas, a great cellist.



This man is incredibly talented. He runs a fiddle camp every summer in California called Valley of the Moon Scottish Fiddling School. My mom, sister and I attended the summers of 2001 and 2002. I didn't realize that it has been 10 years since then! It was one of the best experiences of my life. Fiddling is my first love, over classical music. Anyway, I worked with him a lot, along with some other fiddlers from Norway, Ireland, Canada and other places I can't remember now. It felt like a little piece of home to go see Alasdair. We bought tickets for front row, center! One of the things I love about Jake is that he is so supportive of things that I love. He has no experience with Celtic music, but he loved seeing me so happy. So he was happy.

On Saturday I had a recital for my violin students. It was nearly ruined. Allow me to explain. On Friday afternoon I went in to make sure everything was set up and was told that the front door would be left unlocked for me to get in the next day. Saturday, Jake and I show up about 35 minutes before the recital to find the front door AND back door locked. We tried calling the guy in charge of the building. We called and called and called. I texted. Meanwhile, about 5 minutes before the recital is supposed to start, all of my students and their parents (about 50 people) are standing outside wondering what the heck we're going to do. I was mortified. I looked completely unprofessional and was trying to stay calm, but it was coming down to the wire! Jake decided to try texting him, and the guy casually texted back (after a half hour of calls AND a text) and said the front door was open. Obviously NOT! Jake finally called him and he picked up, and during the call Jake found a random set of stairs in the back alley with an unlocked door. So we all walked in right at 6:00, when the recital was supposed to start. I had wanted everything set up perfect. I am still pretty upset about the situation, and the way the guy didn't seem to care. But what matters is that we got in!

My students did great. I was so proud of all of them! Not all my students were able to attend, but most did. Jake took pictures of each student, but I can't put them up. Just know that my students looked and sounded great. I was a very proud teacher!

After the recital Jake and I went over to the movie theater and bought some tickets to see "The Hunger Games" later that night. While we waited for the showtime we dropped by Jake's brother and his wife's house, Dan and Liz. They are basically our best friends, we love them. We can just hang out and talk about nothing any time. Finally it was time to see "The Hunger Games". We loved it! The only complaint I have is that the camera work was way too dizzy. It made me sick to watch.

On Sunday, Jake and I went to church. I love going to church every week, it always starts my week off right. Afterward, Jake and I drove around Logan to find places for rent. I think it's still a little too early to look. WE'll try looking some more next month, closer to school getting out. We found ourselves driving through Logan Canyon, past first and second dam. I was amazed at how beautiful Logan is. I've lived here for 6 years but sometimes I forget how amazing the canyon looks. We got out and walked around for a while. It was nice to enjoy some nice spring weather.


So that was our weekend! I'm getting spring fever already. Next week is my work's spring break, and I'm taking a week off of teaching. After that summer can't be too far away I'm hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment