Wednesday, June 8, 2011

5 Albums.

My brother Kelly just wrote an outstanding list of his 5 favorite albums of all time. I couldn't pass this up. The truth is that I am always trying to put a list together in my head, but I'm always afraid of leaving something out. But I think this is pretty definitive. The only thing that made it difficult is that I grew up in the age of mix CDs and eventually, one song downloads. I don't always attach myself to entire albums, but songs. These 5 are exceptions. I feel like I just took a tour of the last 10 years of my life by making this list. Somehow I feel very emotional. I hope you take the time to read this, and to make a list of your own.


No Doubt, 'Return of Saturn'
I was turned on to No Doubt by my brother Oliver. He was a fan of them in high school and I wanted to like all the same things he did. So when I heard them for the first time, I fell in love instantly because Oliver liked them and the lead singer was a girl. Perfect. I held on to "Tragic Kingdom" for a year or two, trying to understand the complexities of the lyrics. When 'Return of Saturn' came out, Oliver had moved on to other music, so this album was completely mine. My parents bought it for me for my 13 birthday. I played it over and over on my stereo. The thing about this album is that each indivudal song is nothing particularly special. But as a whole, the album is a work of art. The lyrics and music itself are incredibly candid. At the young age of 13, this was the first bit of music that helped me to see into the life of someone in pain. I felt so very adult listening to Gwen's sad lyrics. No Doubt was my first concert, and they have always held a special place in my heart.

Keane, 'Under the Iron Sea'
This album came out the summer after I graduated high school. Some of my friends and I went to their concert in San Francisco the day it came out. The show that night was absolutely incredible. I had never experienced such a musical experience, nor have I experienced one like that since. It was probably a combination of being 18, being fresh out of high school and feeling like I wasn't quite ready to grow up, but the music I heard that night hit me like a ton of bricks. I've tried to explain the music that night, and the only word I can find to describe it is "spritual". THe sound and the words and the overall unity of everyone in the small club was surreal. That summer I listened to only that album. Every week I drove about an hour and a half out to my violin teacher's house. It was just me and Keane on full blast. THe summer was full of me being forced to grow up. I said goodbye to friends, had my heart broken and moved on in my life. Keane's magical melodies got me through.

The Swell Season, 'Once Soundtrack'
When it was finally time to leave California for college in Utah, my mom and I drove out together. We stopped halfway there and found a movie called "Once". The synopsis seemed interesting, so we put it on. The film is basically a 2 hour music video, leading you through the story of a man and a woman in Ireland who are trying to figure themselves out. There is a scene where they go into a piano shop and sit down to play a song together. As they start to play the song (Falling Slowly), I began to cry. It was one of the most beautiful songs I had ever heard. For a week after that, I was in complete awe of the music I heard. Does that ever happen to you? Have you ever experienced a piece of music before that just stays with you wherever you go? That's how all the music was from "Once". I then found out that the music from the film was from an actual band called "The Swell Season". I bought the album shortly after. My sophomore year it became something completely different to me. That year was full of a lot of pain and changes. I spent a lot of time by myself in my room. I put the album on repeat for many days straight. It became my own personal lullaby, linking me to something beautiful that reminded me of home. That year at the Oscars, Marketa and Glen won best original song for that film. In my opinion, the best Oscar moment I have witnessed. And I've never missed a year at the Oscars.

Dashboard Confessional, 'The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most'
Yes, I'm sure the decision to put these guys on the list is making you all cringe. I get it. The very definition of "emo" music. But this was my band for SO many years! Through all of high school I lived and breathed Dashboard Confessional. I sang until I was hoarse with Chris Carraba, I put on concert DVDs and sang along with the pathetic emo crowd. A dear old friend of mine introduced me to this band. At age 14, what is more appealing to a girl than hearing a gorgeous guy sing in poetic metaphors with an old beatup guitar? Somehow, this band has stood the test of time. I still love their stuff. Well, let me clarify: their first three albums, and maybe a little bit of love for "The Shade of Poison Trees". "The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most" was and is a great album. I listen to it now and feel like a a teenager again. There is no heartbreak or pain associated with it, just memories of deep conversations and good friends. The imagery associated with the lyrics to these songs is still so clear.

The Push Stars, 'Paint the Town'
Another thanks due to my brother, Oliver. Oliver got home from his mission when I was 15. He lived at home for the rest of the time I was in high school, which is one of the biggest blessings in my life. I was so lucky to have a great friend and mentor during that time. We spent a lot of time driving around Modesto, going to the mall or to the movies. Just getting out of Knights Ferry, which is pretty alienated from everything else. Oliver has a way of orchestrating a perfect line of songs, each song fitting perfectly after the last and before the next. When he got home, The Push Stars became a big part of his playlists. It was an overwhelming band to pick up on because they have quite a few albums. So I picked "Paint the Town" mainly and listened to it a lot. Each song is so powerful, each with a great climax and ending.

2 comments:

  1. This is a GREAT list. Thanks Hannah. Might finally get me to start listening to the PushStars. And it made me think about seeing Once for the first time, which was so incredible... (this is Kelly. your stupid blog won't let me post as anything but anonymous.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting list Hannah. I'd like to see your bottom 5 list.

    ReplyDelete