Friday, May 13, 2011

Our New Home

Hi Everyone!

      I have been neglecting the blog the last couple of weeks... Jake and I just moved this past weekend so I was busy packing, unpacking and setting up in our new place! This is the 3rd place we have lived in our marriage... and we'll only have been married 2 years this upcoming August. I guess you could say I'm restless. I can never find the perfect place to live. Jake always teases me and says I can't be this restless when we buy our first house, because that's much more permanent!

   I loved our first, newlywed home. It was a home split into 4 apartments. We lived on the ground level and had a lovely, wide porch. I loved having my students over there to teach. The living room had beautiful large windows and a fireplace.



As much as we both loved that place, we decided to move because our teeny tiny bathroom was only accessible through our bedroom. I know that seems silly, but it always got a little weird when one of my students had to use the restroom and they had to walk through and see Jake sitting on the bed. A bit personal. So we left that place and moved.

The next place we moved had so much more room. It had two bedrooms, a bathroom big enough for us to both walk around in a little, a huge kitchen, covered parking and a bigger living room. I felt so lucky to have a bigger place, and Jake got his own office in the second room. I'm a big believer in letting men have their own space. Sometimes as wives we decorate the home with our own pretty things and forget that it is our home with our husband, not just a place that should look nice with our own things. So Jake had this whole big room to put his gnomes, his Star Wars poster, his Spongebob stuff and anything else he came across.




Once again, I became restless. I would have been happy staying here. In fact, when we moved here I was sure that we would be there long enough to convert Jake's office into a baby room someday. But we decided to move once again. There were many reasons this time. Jake had a hard time sleeping at night because it was so bright in our room at night. The street lights were always on right outside our windows. We were in a very high traffic location so it was also very loud at all hours. I often woke up from neighbors getting up at odd hours or motorcycles speeding by. Jake didn't want to make a move again unless we found something cheaper or allowed pets, and we found the place we just moved into for much cheaper.



I always like to save money where I can. Jake and I were doing fine paying for the other place, but last summer we had a real financial scare because Jake didn't start his new job for a whole month and the job I had didn't pay me until I had been working there for almost 2 months. We also want to buy a new car. We were all set to buy one until I decided not to take the job I was planning on (see about that in an earlier post). So now we are just saving a lot of money living here, it's wonderful! It is the cheapest place that we have lived, and maybe the smallest, but it feels more like home than anything else.

I really love this place.

I grew up in the country most of my life, and was used to the quiet. This place is out of the way, and so so quiet. We have a cute little backyard with a barbecue, swing bench and some steps that lead up to a scenic trail. I feel so at home. It still has two bedrooms so Jake can keep his office. I feel like we have our own home. In the other two places I felt like we were one of a million people living in the same space. Here, we are much cozier. I'm so thankful to be here.

I was feeling a little anxious about teaching here, however. I knew some of my students would wonder why we moved into a place that was a little smaller, and I didn't want to have to explain everything I just wrote here! Some of my younger students were very tactless.

"Why is your table in the living room?"

"Why is your kitchen so small?"

"Your ceiling is lower here than your other place!"

"Why would you move here?"

"Is this place bigger than your other place?"


Kids will be kids. We love them because they are honest, so we have to take the good with the bad, right? I tried to not let it get to me. This place is better in so many ways to Jake and I. 

I think we'll stay here as long as we are in Logan. 

1 comment: