Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Gnocchi recipe

Lately I've been trying some new dinner recipes, using more fresh ingredients and less meat. In this day and age, the internet is so helpful! I have about 15 cookbooks, but when I want to try something new and see what it will actually look like, I just use Google and type in what I'm in the mood for.

Last night I made skillet gnocchi with chard and white beans. Halfway through I was losing hope; it was looking very runny and kind of like the goop you see in the movie "Oliver!". But after I let it sit and thicken up, it looked a lot better. Here's what mine looked like:




Doesn't look as good as the picture online, but it tasted good!



Here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 16-ounce package shelf-stable gnocchi, (see Tip)
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
6 cups chopped chard leaves, (about 1 small bunch) or spinach (I USED SPINACH)
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese


PREPARATION
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring, until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.


TIPS & NOTES
Tip: Look for shelf-stable gnocchi near other pasta in the Italian section of most supermarkets.


6 Servings, 30 minute prep




1 comment:

  1. That looks great! I would like to try that with kale, as it is my favorite leafy green. I am not a huge fan of chard. I really like spinach too, but prefer it raw. Keep on cooking and things will start to get easier and make more sense to you. I will send you some of our favorite recipes if you are interested. I love to cook!

    ReplyDelete